Four kittens rescued when vacant business goes up in flames

SHREVEPORT, La. - Four kittens were rescued when a Shreveport vacant business went up in flames early Wednesday morning, according to Shreveport Fire EMS Officer Clarence Reese, Jr.

Shreveport Fire Department responded to the early morning commercial structure fire on the 1500 block of Marshall Street, after receiving a call from a passerby.

Fire crews were dispatched at 3:18 a.m. with the first unit arriving four minutes later to the one-story, commercial building fully engulfed in flames. 

During the size up and 360 degree evaluation, Battalion Chief Dewayne Tasby noticed the structure's roof beginning to collapse.
 
Chief Tasby commanded all fire crews to extinguish the blaze from the outside of the structure, until safe entry could be reevaluated.

The building had no utilities or immediate adjacent exposures to cause concern while extinguishing the blaze. 

It took the efforts of 10 fire crews and almost 30  firefighters 24 minutes to bring the situation under control. 

It was all under control by 3:46 a.m., but fire units remained on scene for hours to make sure everything was under control. 

Units will continue checking and extinguishing hot spots while the investigator sifts through charred building materials looking for evidence.

The building is a 5,000 sq. ft. commercial building that has been vacant for a couple of years. 

During the firefighting efforts, four kittens were found and rescued. 

The Caddo Parish Animal Control Office has been contacted and will take custody of the kittens.


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News