BATON ROUGE, La. - Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission (LWFC) Thursday announced proposed hunting season dates and regulation changes for the upcoming hunting seasons.
The regulations and changes came out of the LWFC’s January meeting where notices of intent for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 hunting seasons; 2018-19 general and Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) hunting seasons and rules and regulations; 2019 general and WMA turkey hunting season and rules and regulations; and 2018-19 migratory bird hunting season and rules and regulations.
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) plan to schedule public comment events around the state before changes are adopted, though the actual dates for public comments areas around the state from Feb. 19 through March 1. Locations and dates for each specific area will be announced later.
Some of the proposed changes include:
- Deer Area 9 change in either-sex primitive and modern firearms days. Dates will occur earlier within the normal season framework to facilitate antlerless harvest earlier in the season with the intent to improve sex ratios in advance of breeding. There is no reduction or addition of available hunting days.
- Move West Feliciana Parish from Deer Area 4 to Area 6.
- Prohibition on the use of drones on WMAs. Addition of Small Game Emphasis Area to Tunica Hills WMA.
- Addition of PCHP wheelchair bound waterfowl blinds on Bayou Pierre and Russell Sage WMAs.
- Addition of vessel language for allowable means of camping on WMAs.
- Addition of language to clarify where camping can occur on WMAs.
- Reduction of available either-sex modern firearm days from 3 to 2 and reduction of primitive firearms bucks only days from 7 to 2 for deer on Attakapas WMA.
- Allowance for use of yo-yo’s and trot lines for fishing in Big and Chain lakes on Big Lake WMA.
- Establishment of Limited Access Areas (LAAs) for the Topan Unit and the Old Waterfowl Refuge on Boeuf WMA, prohibiting the use of motorized vessels.
- Reduction of deer youth lottery and PCHP Wheelchair bound opportunity on Buckhorn WMA.
- Adjustment of dates for primitive weapon deer season on Clear Creek WMA.
- Grassy Lake WMA reduction of deer either-sex primitive weapon days from 7 to 2 days.
- Elimination of antlerless deer harvest on Pass-A-Loutre WMA.
- Reduction of deer either-sex primitive weapon days from 7 to 2 days on Richard K Yancey WMA.
- Changing the Joyce WMA deer season structure to run concurrent with Maurepas Swamp WMA deer season.
- Establishment of LAAs for all waterfowl impoundments EXCEPT Wham Brake on Russell Sage WMA, prohibiting the use of motorized vessels.
- Adjustment of Sabine WMA deer season(s) to make them later in the season.
- Increase in the number of deer either-sex days for modern firearms from 5 to14 days on Thistlethwaite WMA.
- Adjustment of dates for primitive weapons deer season on West Bay WMA.
- Addition of a part of St. Martin Parish into Area A for turkey hunting.
To view the full notice of intent and all proposed hunting season dates and regulations changes for the upcoming hunting seasons, please visit http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/action-items .
Public comment will be accepted at LWFC monthly meetings from February through March and/or can be submitted in writing by mail to: Tommy Tuma, LDWF Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA 70898-9000, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org until 9 p.m., March 1, 2018.
LDWF will also collect public comment at public hearings to be held Feb. 19-March 1 throughout the state. Locations and times for those meetings will be announced later this month.
For more information, contact Tommy Tuma at 225-765-2349 or email@example.com.
The second week of this year's Weathernator Forecasting Contest has…
A local college is giving back to the community by giving away free…
Shreveport Police are looking for a guy who threw a rock into the…