Suspect in jail after suspicious device found in home

By Stephanie Claytor

Published 01/31 2014 11:10PM

Updated 02/01 2014 11:13PM

A bizarre incident begins with a man hitting golf balls and ends with the bomb squad detonating a device in the Queensborough neighborhood. The suspect, Christopher Bret Sheldon, 45, of Elm Grove, is in police custody facing several charges.


The incident started around 11:30 a.m. on Edgar Street. According to police, firemen working at Shreveport Fire Station 8 called police, alleging a man holding a golf club may’ve hurled more than 30 golf balls at their personal vehicles.


When police arrived, they say they witnessed Sheldon standing across the street hurling golf balls toward the fire station. Fire Chief Louis Johnson said the balls had vulgar and racial phrases such as “KKK” written on them.


Authorities arrested Sheldon, after finding what they suspected as methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia in his possession. That discovery led police to obtain a search warrant. The canine unit was called in to search the home where Sheldon was living, leading them to locate a suspicious device.


The bomb squad, ATF, fire investigators, and FBI agents were called on scene and people living in the home and nearby were evacuated.  Around 2:15 pm., the device was detonated, and people were allowed to re-enter their homes.  


Christopher Bret Sheldon is charged with criminal mischief, Possession of Schedule One Control Dangerous Substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Eric O’Brien is a friend of Sheldon. He calls the whole ordeal shocking. He said the device was a tube with an electric light switch attached to it.


“It was a gag gift. A kindergartener would have to look at it, and think it was explosive device,” said Eric O’Brien.”


O’Brien said Sheldon had been living in the home for about a month, and hit golf balls outside quite often. He said Sheldon was a darts buddy of his, who moved into the home after he and his girlfriend were down on their luck and had nowhere else to stay.


Fire investigators said they continue to examine the suspicious device. Chief Louis Johnson said they do not believe this incident has anything to do with the current criminal court case involving Fire Station 8, however, neighbors tells us Christopher Sheldon was temporarily living in the same home as one of the victims in that case.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Videos

Featured Coupon