Here is a list of everything you need to know from parking to the items that you are allowed to bring into the air show:
- Parking is FREE and will be available for visitors directly at the base.
- Directions: Enter through the West Gate over the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge or the North Gate via Northgate Road. If you have an oversize vehicle or RV, enter through the East Gate via Industrial Drive. If you are a DoD ID card holder desiring access to any part of the base other than the air show main parking area, enter through the South Gate, East Gate, or Bodcau Gate. Before 8:30 a.m., UTA personnel may enter via any entrance, but must choose South Gate, East Gate, or Bodcau Gate at other times for 307 BW access. Bodcau Gate will be open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily.
- Please allow enough time for coming to the base, parking your car at designated areas and going through security checks.
- Security Advisory: No weapons are allowed. Backpacks, large purses and coolers will be prohibited on the airfield. Please check our Security FAQ for further details.
- Food and drinks will be available for purchase at the air show.
- As there are very few shaded areas, sunscreen is highly recommended.
- Is it safe to come to the air show? Safety is always a primary concern at air shows. Barksdale AFB works very closely with local and federal authorities to ensure safety. Barksdale AFB follows and enforces all security rules and regulations as required. You will notice extra uniformed security at the air show, both military and civilian.
- What are the changes to air show security? Due to heightened security requirements, containers such as backpacks and coolers are will be prohibited on the airfield. Some exceptions will be made for items such as diaper bags, purses and folding lawn chairs, but visitors must submit them to security personnel for an inspection. Weapons are strictly prohibited. Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms, blades (including pocket knives), and blunt objects. Patrons with firearms will be asked to leave the installation or their weapons will be confiscated and will not be returned.
- If I cannot bring something into the air show, can I go out to my car during the show? Yes. Since the show has no admission fee, you may leave and re-enter as you desire. Anyone re-entering will have to go through security checkpoints again.
- Can I bring a fanny pack? Small fanny packs are permitted, subject to approval by gate security personnel and a hand-search at the security checkpoint.
- Can I bring a purse? Small purses are permitted, subject to approval by gate security personnel and a hand-search at the security checkpoint. Large purses (tote bag type) are not permitted.
- Can I bring my camera/video camera/cell phone? Yes.There are no security restrictions on these items. However, large camera bags are not permitted. Bring only necessary camera equipment, leaving extra attachments at home. A small fanny pack or camera vest is useful for carrying extra film and small lenses.
- Can I bring water, drinks and/or food? We will not turn away anyone carrying drinks or food in their hands, but backpacks and coolers with these items will not be permitted on the airfield. All items brought in are subject to approval by gate security personnel and a hand-search at the security checkpoint.
- Can I bring a folding chair? Yes. If your folding chair is one of the types that come in a carrying-case, please leave the case in your car.
- I have small children. Can I bring a stroller/diaper bag/clothes change/etc.? Yes. Strollers will be hand-searched at the security checkpoint. Please bring only necessary items in a small diaper bag, subject to hand-search at the security checkpoint. Large diaper bags will not be permitted. You can return to your vehicle during the show to get extra clothes, restock diaper items, etc.
- Can my vehicle be searched when entering Barksdale Air Force Base? Yes. To ensure safety at the air show your vehicle may be searched.
Security Procedures for the 2014 Air Show
- Visitors may purchase food and beverages at the show, but are prohibited from bringing containers like backpacks and coolers on base.
- Safety concerns related to the presence of jet fuel severely restrict where people can smoke on base and at the air show. These restrictions will be enforced for the safety of everyone present.
- Pets should be left at home and will not be allowed in to the air show unless they are assistant animals (such as seeing-eye dogs).
- Possession of firearms on a military installation is prohibited.
- Base officials may adjust security measures as needed.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.