Here are five important laws all bicycle enthusiasts should know:
- Riders must obey all traffic control devices such as stop signs and red lights.
- Riders are required to use hand signals for stopping and turning and are required to ride the same direction as the flow of traffic.
- Bicycles may not ride the wrong direction on a one way street.
- Bicycles have the right of way and control of the lane they are occupying.
- Bicycles are required to have a white light visible to the front and red reflector visible to the rear when operated at night.
A helmet is not required to operate a bicycle however it is strongly recommended for the health and safety of the rider.
For more information on bicycle safety visit the National Highway Safety and Transportation website listed. <http://www.nhtsa.gov/Bicycles
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.