The events kick off at 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 6 at the duck pond on SAU campus.
This year's Residence Hall Association Bed Race at 1 p.m. is the 34th installment of SAU's colorful and unique tradition. It pits two teams of five on a narrow strip of road with decorated beds hoisted up on bicycle tires.
Four members of each team push the beds at harrowing speeds while the fifth brave and helmeted soul holds on, wishing all the while he or she would have stayed inside to study.
If you still need an adrenaline rush after the bed race, enjoy the rest of the Family Day activities, which includes the annual Great Greek Canoe Races at the SAU duck pond, Mulegating at the Welcome Center and a free family picnic and pep rally.
At 5:45 p.m., SAU's renowned Mulerider mascot of three years, Megan Maye McCurdy, will ride Molly Ann the mule onto the football field one final time to hand off the reigns to her successor.
Payton Baird, a sophomore nursing student from Fouke, Ark., will officially take over as the face of SAU. She will ride the mule across the end zone after each Mulerider touchdown, as well as represent the University at a number of events and activities.
The day will conclude with the Mulerider football team taking on Southeastern Oklahoma State University at 6 p.m. at Wilkins Stadium. The first game will be bitter-sweet for the Muleriders as they remember their fallen teammate, senior wide receiver Brandon Hobdy. The tickets and game program both feature Hobdy, who will be honored throughout the season.
The complete schedule for the 2013 Family Day is as follows:
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Organization Fair - SAU Duck Pond
- 1 p.m. - RHA 34th Annual Bed Races - Crescent Dr.
- 2 p.m. - Family Reception - Fincher Hall
- 3 p.m. - Annual Great Greek Canoe Races - SAU Duck Pond
- 3:30 - 5 p.m. - Mulegating/Free Family Picnic - Welcome Center lawn
- 5 - 5:30 p.m. - Pep Rally - Welcome Center lawn
- 5:45 p.m. - Passing of the Reigns Ceremony - Wilkins Stadium
- 6 p.m. - Mulerider Football - SAU vs. Southeastern Oklahoma State University
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.