Suspect dies following traffic stop on I-20 in Bossier Parish

By Nancy Cook |

Published 08/10 2014 11:29AM

Updated 08/10 2014 11:33AM

A Dallas man died at Willis Knighton Bossier hospital Saturday morning, after trying to swallow a plastic bag containing a white, powdery substance he tried to swallow after being stopped Friday by Louisiana Troop G officers.


Rashune Henry, 34, of Dallas, Texas, was pronounced dead at 9:10 a.m. on Saturday, August 9, 2014, at Willis Knighton Bossier.


Troopers stopped Henry, lone occupant driving a the 2010 Chevrolet Impala, for improper lane use on Interstate 20, about four miles east of Bossier at 5:30 Friday morning.  Subsequently, troopers discovered Henry was on parole for aggravated burglary and illegal use of a weapon and that there was a warrant for his arrest for violation of his parole. The warrant was the result of his arrest in Bossier City on April 18, 2014, for public intoxication, resisting an officer, and battery on an officer.


During the traffic stop, troopers say Henry ignored instructions to remain outside his vehicle as he proceeded to the front passenger seat and concealed his hands.  Henry refused to exit his vehicle and actively resisted as Troopers removed him from the vehicle. 

One of the Troopers deployed his Taser twice in an effort to gain compliance. Troopers say the Taser had little effect on Henry as he attempted to flee from them by entering into the travel lanes of Interstate 20. 

The Taser was deployed again and the trooper was able to restrain Henry and pull him to the safety of the shoulder of the roadway, as the other Trooper directed traffic around them. 

Once Troopers pulled Henry out of the roadway, they discovered he was having trouble breathing. They requested EMS, and rendered first aid until emergency medical team arrived.

While treating Henry, EMS personnel discovered a clear plastic bag containing a white substance suspected to be narcotics lodged deep in the back of Henry’s throat. Henry was transported to Willis Knighton Hospital in Bossier City.   He was pronounced dead there at 9:10 a.m. Saturday.

The Louisiana State Police Bureau of Investigations is handling the investigation. 


Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.