ArkLaTex
42°F

Apartment fire sends Benton Fire Captain to the ICU

Capt. Jay Emory is recovering from a smoke inhalation injury.

An apartment fire sent a Benton firefighter to the hospital over the weekend. The fire happened at “The Reserve” apartment complex in Benton, La, around 6 a.m. Saturday.


Capt. Jay Emory was in intensive care for two days, suffering from a smoke inhalation injury. According to him, after he put the fire out, he could barely breathe.


"When you can't breathe enough air into your lungs, to stay awake and stay conscious....it’s very scary when you can’t breathe and remember stuff,” said Capt. Emory.


None of the occupants were injured, thanks to first responder Bossier Parish Deputy Darryl Ware, who climbed up to the balcony to save a man.

 

It took firefighters 20 minutes to get the fire under control. Investigators believe the fire started when a candle tipped over.


           



                 

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

This Just In