A car show benefitting the Howard County Historical Society and the Howard County Museum will be held from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 13 will be held at the Nashville City Park, 1301 Johnson Street in Nashville Ark.
The event promises to be quite festive, with live bluegrass music and food vendors during the car show. There will be a Corvette corner, and car clubs are welcome. The event will include cash prizes and gift bags/dash plaques to the first 50, along with other door prizes.
Cost to enter a car, truck or motorcycle is $15 in advance or $20 the day of the show. There is no cost to display antique tractors. Checks or money orders should be sent to Freddie Horne, 110 Deerwood Lane, Nashville, Arkansas, 71852. Phone or text 870-451-4288 or email email@example.com.
In addition, a 5k run and fun walk to benefit the Relay For Life and American Cancer Society also will be held. Registration will be from 6:15 - 7:15 a.m at the park.
The Howard County Museum is housed in the former First Presbyterian Church, that was built in 1912. It is located on the corner of West Hempstead Street and South 2nd Street in Nashville, Arkansas.
The museum was purchased by the Howard County Heritage Club in the early 1970s, and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The structure’s architecture is a combination of two styles, High Victorian Gothic and Stick Style. It is the only structure still standing in southwest Arkansas built in this style. The construction of this building was late for its time, with that type of architecture most popular between 1860 and 1890.
Some exterior work was done to the museum in the late 1980s, but since then, the museum fell into disrepair. Because the Heritage Club had not been meeting, it lost its non-profit designation.
Recently, in an effort to begin restoring the building, community members came forward and formed the Howard County Historical Society. Cleaning and repairs are underway now.
But before that could be done, the artifacts and display cases had to be moved out of the museum. Most of the items were sitting on the floor and did not have information on where they came from. So a committee was formed to catalog the items.
Although the building is in good, stable condition, some woodwork needs to be done, and boards to be replaced.
The Historical Society decided to keep part of the building as a chapel for weddings and other ceremonies, which will provide income. The other part will house the museum, with display cases and rotating collections. The Historical Society has preserved the building’s original pews, preacher's desk, and communion table/items adding to the historical ambiance of the structure.
In an effort to raise funds for the museum, a membership drive is currently underway. Cleaning supplies are also needed and the exterior of the building needs a paint job. Any donations would be greatly appreciated!
Membership is $20 a year and includes invitations to all membership meetings, activities, and newsletters. Additional contributions are also welcome.