ArkLaTex
92°F

NBC 6 Exclusive: family of 3 escapes burning home

What started out as a yard maintenance project, ended with flames shooting from a home in the 2800 block of Milam.
With flames flying and smoke billowing into the air, up to 35 firefighters battled a house fire on Milam Street.

But the flames proved to be too much for the wood and brick frame home.

"[The] first crew got on here within two minutes, because engine four is right down the road, so they were the first ones on scene,” Chief Scott Wolverton, Chief of Special Ops and Safety for Shreveport Fire Dept. “When they got here it was pretty heavily involved with fire."

Around 1:15 p.m. on Sunday, a technician with Dish Network was on the roof, when he was forced down by the smell of smoke.

“Upon looking under the eave, I saw the bedroom on fire from inside the house, and I told him, ‘your room is on fire you need to get her out of there,’” says Chris Flowe, technician for Dish Network.

Cleveland Collins' parents were inside, and his mother's room was engulfed in flames.

"Her room was burning up and the kitchen was on fire, and it was working its way to the living room," says Collins.

According to Collins, the fire started when he plugged in an extension cord.

"When I plugged it in and got to the side of the house to throw the cord over the fence, the plug exploded," says Collins.

Thankfully, when Collins ran to the front of the house, his parents met him at the front door.

“So, by the time I run in there to get them out, they'd already made it to the living room, so all I had to do was help them out of the house," says Collins.

While the fire destroyed belongings, it was quick thinking that saved lives.

Fire investigators say unfortunately the home looks to be a total loss.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

This Just In