ArkLaTex
60°F

Update: Carbon monoxide poisoning sends 2 to the hospital

Two men who were taken to Willis-Knighton South after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide are back at home.
Two men who were taken to Willis-Knighton South after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide are back at home.

Around 7:30 a.m. Thursday EMS crews arrived at a house in the 1200 block of Waller Ave in Bossier City.  They found several people who were complaining of nausea, vomiting and dizziness.

Firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the home and believe the fumes were coming from central heating unit which operates on natural gas.

Exposure to carbon monoxide, or CO, can be fatal. It's often called "the silent killer" since you cannot see, taste, or smell it.

The United States Fire Administrations offers these prevention tips:
·    Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide
·    CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards
·    Have fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, wood stoves, coal stoves, space heaters and portable heaters) and chimneys inspected by a professional every year
·    Make sure dampers are open for proper ventilation before using a fireplace
·    Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home
·    When purchasing new heating and cooking equipment, select products tested and labeled by a recognized testing laboratory
·    Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning - keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked


Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

This Just In