Salute the Badge: Naples Police Department set to receive new rifle resistant body armor

Salute the Badge

NAPLES, Texas (KTAL/KMSS) – The Naples Police Department is about to get a big upgrade on protective gear for its on-duty officers.

The department will receive five bulletproof vests made out of ceramic plates.

“I’m ecstatic – I’ve been in combat situations. I’m a previous soldier. And this is equipment that’s very familiar to me and it’s been – I feel a very severe need,” said NPD Officer Jerry Goodson.

The vests run $500 apiece and the department received a $2,500 grant to cover the costs. The money was awarded through the governor’s Criminal Justice Division.

“It seems to me that more and more officers are being killed or injured with high powered rifles. And the grant money was there to purchase it and I felt like it was something we needed to have,” said Chief Chris Hogg.

Authorities say unlike their current vests, Hogg says these shield officers from high-powered rifles in addition to bullets from handguns.

“So this one that we wear day to day is primarily for handguns. That’s what it will protect against. It’s not effective for a high power rifle.”

The department says the vests will go a long way toward helping officers get home safely.

Stay up to date with the latest news and weather by downloading the Arklatexhomepage News App from the App Store or Google Play.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Salute the Badge Banquet 2019 Photo Gallery

Don't Miss