According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- As US hits highest 7-day average for virus cases, these states are hardest hit
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential campaigns’ final week
- Second stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand as a new week begins
- Marshall man dies after 2 pickup trucks collide in East Texas
- LSU football fan attacked in Tiger Stadium restroom after game