Baton Rouge Police Chief comments on investigation into warrantless search after strip search incident involving teen

Crime

BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Baton Rouge police commented Thursday on an investigation into a traffic stop in which a 16-year-old boy and his older brother were strip-searched in broad daylight.

Video of the officers pulling down the 16 and 24-year-old’s underwear during the January 1, 2020 traffic stop quickly circulated online.

A firearm was found in the 24-year-old’s underwear and marijuana was found on the teen.

The officers took the teen home to his mother, but when she did not answer the door, officers entered the apartment.

Chief Murphy Paul says there was nothing wrong with the strip search, but he said officer Ken Camallo violated search warrant policies.

“That was a police safety concern,” Paul said. “He went in and retrieved it. I don’t see anything wrong with that. He was not sustained for that.”

The investigation also concluded that officers violated body camera policy.

“The camera was cut off or not turned on. Our policy requires you to keep the camera on when you are talking or conversing with someone on a police matter,” Paul said.

According to Paul, Camallo later claimed he entered the home for a welfare check.

A lawsuit was filed and settled out of court in April for $35,000.

Paul says since the incident happened over a year ago he has not put the officers involved on administrative leave. No disciplinary actions towards the officers have been taken so far.

Stay up to date with the latest news and weather by downloading the Arklatexhomepage News App from the App Store or Google Play.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss