SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – There will be several opportunities in the community for people to celebrate a Day of Service on Monday’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Because it’s a federal holiday, public schools, public libraries, banks, post offices and government offices will be closed, giving people the time to honor King through service.
Below are some of those opportunities available:
Annual MLK Service Day
8:15 – 9 a.m. Registration, Smith Building
9:00 am • Service Event in the Fit
Register via Engage
- Writing advocacy letters to local, state, and national officials; Compiling Dream Week notes for local senior citizens residing in nursing facilities (180 spots available) – participants will be provided pens, paper, envelopes and blank cards. If other materials are desired like art supplies, we ask that you provide these materials.
- Centenary Community Garden (20 spots available) – For this opportunity, please wear warm clothing that you do not mind getting dirty.
- Participants must serve from beginning to end of the project to receive a Dream Week t-shirt. T-shirts and light snacks will be provided to participants.
Note: ALL participants will be required to wear masks.
4725 Greenwood Road
Praise Temple Day of Service
Noon – 2 p.m.
- Boxes of non-perishable food items will be given to the community. People are asked to stay in their vehicles, drive through and “grab and go”.
- The Greater Texarkana Branch of the NAACP will hold its annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. program, but it will be virtual. Click link for details: