A long-time Frierson native passes away in a house fire late Wednesday night.
Family members are grieving the loss of their elderly mother who they say died in a tragic accident.
88-year-old Remonia Young passed away inside her home on Atkins Lane in Frierson.
She lived alone but next door to family and her daughter was taking care of her.
“She was a hard-worker and she’d do anything she could to help you. To know her is to love her,” said her daughter, Linda Atkins.
Atkins said earlier in the day she smelled gas inside her mother’s house so she took her to her house for the day. She called someone to come check the propane and was told to air out the house and thought it was safe after that.
By the evening time, her mother wanted to go back home, so Atkins took her, and they didn’t smell anything inside. She brought her dinner and left for only ten minutes when her sister-in-law called saying the house was on fire. They believe Young may have died in an explosion.
“I couldn’t get to her, yeah i just couldn’t get to her,” Atkins said.
Family says Remonia was a great mother who raised five girls and three boys. She was active in her age, caring for chickens and her dog outside.
“It was such a shock. I can’t believe it because she was with me all morning. I can’t wrap my brain around it that she went out like that. I can’t believe it,” Atkins said.
They said she was well-known in the community and just started going back to her “home church” and was getting all of her children to come back too.
“She was happy these last Sundays, she was happy,” Atkins said.
They plan to bury her next to her mother at her “home church” at New Bethel Baptist Church in Frierson.