House fire displaces family of eight

Local News

A Shreveport family was displaced after their home caught fire Saturday evening.

Shreveport firefighters responded to a kitchen fire in the 2600 block of Samford Avenue. The family escaped uninjured, and the fire was contained in less than 10 minutes after they arrived, and rescued the family pet.

Michael Kelly, the homeowner, said his niece was cooking when the stove caught on fire. 

Kelly expressed relief the family got out safely. “That’s the most important thing,” Kelly said, adding “you can always get another house, but you can’t get another family.”

Skip Pinkston, SFD public information officer said the house did have a working smoke detector. 

“We want to encourage all residents of Shreveport to have a working smoke detector,” Pinkston said. “Smoke detectors save lives.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Check This Out

Trending Stories

Loving Living Local 600x600

Don't Miss