Inmates can now video chat friends and family

Local

The Miller County Detention Center is allowing inmates to video chat with friends and family.


Inmate Rhonda Thomason visits from jail, “how are things going at home? I miss y’all and I love y’all. I hope things are good with the kids.”

Thomason has been in jail for less that two weeks. Accused of violating her parole. She does not know when she will go home to her three kids.


 Thomason says, “Everything’s good in here.”

The Miller County Detention Center is allowing inmates to video chat with friends and family twice a week for 15 minutes.

The system works like Facetime, but everything is recorded and monitored.
 

MCDC Captain Golden Adams says, “it’s more user friendly for the inmates and their families.”

The system is free to the public if they use it at the detention center or 50 cents a minute on a personal device.
 

Warden Jeffie Walker says “we don’t offer contact visitation, so this affords the inmate and their family or friend the opportunity to visit.”

Correct Solutions Group gets 65 percent of all call charges and the remaining 35 percent goes to the detention center. Officials say the funds are used to purchase items for the inmates.

Adams adds, “anything that we need to buy that they utilize is for them. Basketballs board games,things of that nature.”
 

Thomason says she is grateful the system allows her to see her children. She adds,”it means everything to me. Just content and it lets me know everything is okay.”

Use this link to create an account https://www.smartjailmail.com/

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss