It’s important to stay safe while shopping in a store and online this holiday season.
The Shreveport Police Department reminds shoppers that the holiday shopping season is open season for criminals.
Officers are reminding you to take some extra precautions when heading out.
They say to avoid being a victim. They advise you to lock your car; Keep valuables in your car out of plain sight and avoid holding too many bags while walking.
Officers say criminals are just looking for easy targets.
“A thief wants to steal something it’s just easier to go up to a unlock car and open the door versus smashing out a window making noise and drawing attention to their crime,” says Cpl. Marcus Hines.
1. Take notice of what you see and where you are.
2. Always remember where you parked.
3. Keep your purse with you and not in a cart. Carry it close to you, not dangling. Put your wallet on an inside pocket when practical.
4. Keep small children in sight at all times and develop a plan ahead of time if you become separated.
5. Never leave packages in your car where you can easily see them and lock your car.
6. Report any suspicious packages or activity.
7. Always let someone know where you are going and when to expect you.