Serious question; do you have your Christmas tree yet?
Well nothing signals the start of the Christmas season quite like bringing home a fresh cut tree and Monday morning we started off our week by stopping by a Christmas tree stand in Shreveport to talk about this years supply.
Just as Santa comes from the north delivering presents, so do the guys at Raven’s Cliff Farms. For the the past eight years the North Carolina Christmas Tree gurus from Raven’s Cliff Farms load up their sleigh and depart for Shreveport, bringing with them hundreds of Frazier Firs. (a type of Christmas tree native to the Appalachian Mountains of the Southeastern United States)
Here’s a link to Raven’s Cliff Farms Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ravensclifftreefarm/
Monday morning we spoke with Heath Hall from Raven’s Cliff Farms and he provided several Christmas tree safety tips as well as tips for finding the perfect tree.
1. Choose fresh over cheap and dry. The fresher the tree, the less likely it will pose a fire hazard. Look for flexible needles that don’t break, and a trunk with sap.
2. Keep the water coming. The tree stand should contain a continuous source of water and be sturdy enough to resist toppling by kids or pets.
3. Don’t choke the cord. Attach only three maximum strings of lights to any one extension cord, then place cords along walls to prevent a tripping hazard. Never run them under rugs or carpets.
4. Trees don’t need warmth. Keep the tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces, candles and even a TV.
5. Not any lights will do. Use low energy, safe lighting that’s been certified by a safety testing lab. Don’t use damaged or frayed cords.
6. Be sure you have enough room for the tree you have in mind.