SFD: Cooking fire claims life of elderly woman inside of Shreveport home

Local

(Getty)

SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL/KMSS) — An elderly woman is dead following a cooking fire at a home in Shreveport’s Cherokee Park Neighborhood Friday evening.

According to the Shreveport Fire Department, firefighters received a call around 5:30 p.m. about a fire in the 1100 block of Englemead Drive. Battalion Chief Robert DeBusk, who was the first person on the scene of the fire, says he saw very light smoke coming from a single-story home.

According to the Caddo Parish’s Coroner’s Office, 81-year-old Katie Sangid just before 5:30 p.m. of injuries suffered when her clothes caught fire while she used a gas stove at her residence in the 1100 block of Englemeade Drive. That is in the Cherokee Park neighborhood. An autopsy has been ordered.

SFD said Rescue 1 and Engine 2 arrived shortly after and cleared the home of smoke and secured the scene, along with the Shreveport Police Department.

Investigators learned that a Sangid was cooking when she burned herself. Her son, who lived across the street, found her body in the kitchen and extinguished the fire before SFD showed up.

SFD says the fire was very small and it took about a gallon of water to put it out. There were no working smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire.

Citizens can be placed on a list to have smoke detectors provided and installed for FREE. Please call our Fire Prevention Office at 318-673-6740 to take advantage of the program. SFD discourages cooking with loose clothing and/or hanging garments.

Stay up to date with the latest news and weather by downloading the Arklatexhomepage News App from the App Store or Google Play.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Loving Living Local 600x600

Don't Miss