The smell from a major gas leak permeating the air in the 2700 block of Ashton and Looney Streets in Shreveport has residents holding their noses today.
It happened around 10:30 this morning when contractors accidentally hit a gas main causing the leak, according to a CenterPoint spokesman.
Shreveport firefighters and CenterPoint emergency crews immediately responded to the scene and have worked throughout the morning to try to stop the leak, which has made a hissing sound as the natural gas escapes since the main was first tapped.
CenterPoint crews are working to squeeze the line so that it can be repaired, but were unable to give a time frame of when those repairs might be completed.
They say they don’t expect Looney Street customers to lose gas service, but it may be necessary to cut it off for customers on Ashton.
NBC6/FOX33 Reporter Delano Henry has been at the scene this morning and spoke to a resident whose 93-year-old mother was inside when the gas mail was tapped behind their house. See that interview and more details as they become available in this developing story.