With a few simple materials right from your home, you make an awesome foaming ooze that seeps from every opening in the the face of your jack o’ lantern. It’ll bring squeals of excitement and looks of disgust from the faces of your party goers.
Steps to make an oozing pumpkin:
- Cover your lab space with the plastic bag. (This makes it easier to clean up your space when you’re finished.) Fill a small cup with about 2 T (30 ml) of 12% hydrogen peroxide.
- Add a squirt of dish soap to the hydrogen peroxide.
- Add some some food coloring to give your foaming pumpkin a nice effect. Give the solution a stir with the spoon.
- Dump the yeast into the other cup. Use all of it.
- Add 4 T (59 ml) of very warm water to the yeast and stir it completely. If the mixture is too thick, like a goo, add a little more warm water to thin it. The yeast needs to pour quickly so you want it runny.
- Open your jack o’ lantern and carefully lower the hydrogen peroxide solution into the pumpkin. Don’t tip it over or you’ll have to start over. Some kitchen tongs may be useful to do this Step.
- This is the moment of truth! When you start, quickly pour the yeast solution into the hydrogen peroxide and replace the top of your jack o’ lantern. It may take a few seconds, but once the reaction starts, the foaming, spooky result is well worth the wait.