BATON ROUGE, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – The number of people who have died from COVID-19 in Caddo Parish has risen to 19, where there are now 647 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. A third person has also died in Bossier Parish, where 133 cases have now been confirmed, according to the Louisiana Department of Health.
As of noon Sunday, the number of cases statewide had risen to 13,010, with 477 deaths.
While the 514 new cases represent an increase of just four-percent from Saturday, the 68 new deaths reported Sunday becomes the largest single daily death toll since the first case was reported on March 9. The state’s first death was reported on March 14.
More than 1,800 people are hospitalized, with 561 on ventilators, according to the LDH.
On Satruday, Gov. John Bel Edwards said the federal government had promised to send an additional 200 ventilators from the federal Strategic National Stockpile in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The state was previously sent 150 ventilators from the SNS.
That came after Edwards warned on Friday that modeling data shows the state on track to require 2,5000 new hospitalizations a day in the New Orleans area by mid-May, if the public does not adhere to COVID-19 mitigation measures like Gov. Edwards’ stay at home order.
Work continues to convert the convention center in New Orleans into a facility that could hold patients so that hospitals in the hard-hit region are not overrun. It is expected to open Monday with 2,000 beds.
61 of the state’s 64 parishes have confirmed cases. The number of cases in Caddo Parish jumped by 221 since Friday, for a total of 598. Bossier Parish is reporting 31 new cases, bringing the total to 127. DeSoto is now reporting 75 cases and a third death in the parish.
There are now 886 cases and 20 deaths confirmed across the following parishes:
- Caddo – 647 case(s) | 19 death(s) | 133 state tests | 10,647 commercial tests
- Bossier – 133 case(s) | 3 death(s) | 30 state tests | 1,422 commercial tests
- De Soto – 80 case(s) | 3 death(s) | 7 state tests | 45 commercial tests
- Webster – 49 case(s) | 2 death(s) | 8 state tests | 455 commercial tests
- Claiborne – 23 case(s) | 2 death(s) | 16 state tests | 50 commercial tests
- Bienville – 10 case(s) | 1 death(s) | 3 state tests | 13 commercial tests
- Natchitoches – 14 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 15 state tests | 125 commercial tests
- Sabine – 5 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 5 state tests | 59 commercial tests
- Red River – 2 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 27 state tests | 27 commercial tests
- Bossier Parish confirms 494 new positive COVID-19 cases, 11 new deaths
- Hospitalizations are increasing in East Texas and restrictions could return if trends continue
- COVID-19 and schools: NE Texas and SW Arkansas teachers motivate each other while teaching during the pandemic
- COVID-19 and schools: Hope Public Schools optimistic going into the spring semester
- Oklahoma health officials outline coronavirus vaccine plans