BATON ROUGE, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – Caddo, Bossier, and DeSoto Parish area are all reporting more COVID-19 deaths as of Monday at noon, according to the Louisiana Department of health. NWLA now has more than 1,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and 33 deaths.
The number of cases statewide has risen by another 1,857 since Sunday, for a total of 14,867 and 512 deaths are now reported across the state. That is 35 new deaths in 24 hours.
That’s nearly half the 68 coronavirus-related deaths reported by Louisiana health officials on Sunday, marking the state’s biggest jump in reported deaths since the outbreak began.
More than 1,800 people are hospitalized, with 563 on ventilators, according to the LDH. Those numbers have not risen significantly since Sunday’s update, which could be a sign that the spread of the virus is slowing.
During his Monday press briefing, Gov. John Bel Edwards said nearly 70 percent of the overall COVID-19 deaths reported so far in Louisiana are African American. Hypertension remains the most common underlying condition in patients.
62 of the state’s 64 parishes now have confirmed cases. The number of cases in Caddo Parish as of Monday noon is over 711, and two more deaths bring the total to 21. Bossier Parish, which now has 139 reported cases, is also reporting an additional death, bringing the total there to three. DeSoto also reporting an additional death, bringing the total there to four.
There are now 1,058 cases and 33 deaths confirmed across the following parishes:
- Caddo – 711 case(s) | 21 death(s) | 136 state tests | 11,946 commercial tests
- Bossier – 139 case(s) | 3 death(s) | 30 state tests | 1,609 commercial tests
- De Soto – 82 case(s) | 4 death(s) | 7 state tests | 47 commercial tests
- Webster – 51 case(s) | 2 death(s) | 8 state tests | 547 commercial tests
- Claiborne – 30 case(s) | 2 death(s) | 16 state tests | 63 commercial tests
- Bienville – 14 case(s) | 1 death(s) | 3 state tests | 15 commercial tests
- Natchitoches – 22 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 15 state tests | 160 commercial tests
- Sabine – 7 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 5 state tests | 74 commercial tests
- Red River – 2 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 27 state tests | 3 commercial tests
- Lake of the Ozarks pool partier tests positive for COVID-19; hundreds potentially exposed
- Ex-mayor convicted in FBI sting released early from prison
- Bossier beauty and barber school re-opens following COVID-19 closure
- LDH orders temporary partial closure of tanning facilities
- Harrison County confirms another COVID-19 death