BATON ROUGE, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Louisiana rose to 31,600 Sunday, while the number of people who have died from the virus rose to 2,213.
That’s an increase of 183 cases and 19 deaths over the last 24 hours, according to numbers released daily by the Louisiana Department of Health. While the overall trend in cases is down, there has yet to be a 14-day period in which confirmed cases have consistently declined. Data reported by labs over the weekend have typically been lower throughout the course of the pandemic.
A 14-day downward trajectory in the reporting of virus-like symptoms, confirmed cases, and hospitalizations, among other things, are required to meet criteria set by the White House coronavirus task force in order for states to begin the first phases of reopening their economies.
Gov. John Bel Edwards has previously said that he is expecting to make an announcement Monday on whether the state is ready to move into the first phase of reopening the state’s economy by May 15.
Reported cases in Northwest Louisiana rose by 12 on Sunday, eight of them in Caddo Parish. Louisiana Department of Health data now shows 133 deaths in Caddo, although the coroner’s office was reporting 144 in the parish as of Thursday evening.
There were no new deaths reported Sunday in any of the remaining eight Northwest Louisiana Parishes.
De Soto and Webster Parish are each reporting one new case. Natchitoches is reporting two new cases, bringing the total cases there to 100.
As of 12:30 p.m Sunday, May 10, the LDH reported the following data on confirmed cases, deaths and testing in northwest Louisiana parishes:
- Caddo – 1,751 case(s) | 133 death(s) | 125 state tests | 16,228 commercial tests
- Bossier – 310 case(s) | 20 death(s) | 44 state tests | 6,516 commercial tests
- De Soto – 214 case(s) | 13 death(s) | 20 state tests | 1,693 commercial tests
- Webster – 98 case(s) | 4 death(s) | 13 state tests | 1,845 commercial tests
- Claiborne – 59 case(s) | 9 death(s) | 31 state tests | 512 commercial tests
- Bienville – 77 case(s) | 18 death(s) | 20 state tests | 615 commercial tests
- Natchitoches – 100 case(s) | 9 death(s) | 59 state tests | 967 commercial tests
- Sabine – 17 case(s) | 1 death(s) | 28 state tests | 457 commercial tests
- Red River – 36 case(s) | 6 death(s) | 15 state tests | 274 commercial tests
More Coronavirus News
- Gov. Edwards renews plea for businesses to move to remote work for employees
- Biden signs 10 virus orders, requires masks for travel
- SML to offer COVID-19 vaccine registration assistance
- Perkins among mayors calling on Biden to give families recurring checks during pandemic
- Fauci says US will remain WHO member, join global coronavirus vaccine program