BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – With a petition this weekend, Louisiana lawmakers are working to gather support to call what would be the second special session of the year.
When the legislature closed the year’s first special session in June, the idea was that another would be convened this fall to decide how to allocate a second federal stimulus. The future of that second stimulus is still unclear.
This session will tackle how the state will replenish the unemployment trust fund without tax hikes and Hurricane Laura relief.
This session would start on September 28 and last approximately 30 days.
A simple majority in each chamber is required to call a special session. As of this publishing of the article, no special session has been announced.
- As US hits highest 7-day average for virus cases, these states are hardest hit
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential campaigns’ final week
- Second stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand as a new week begins
- Marshall man dies after 2 pickup trucks collide in East Texas
- LSU football fan attacked in Tiger Stadium restroom after game