BATON ROUGE, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – The number of COVID hospitalizations in Louisiana has reached a new all-time high for the fourth day in a row.
According to the Louisiana Department of Health, 2,421 are now hospitalized across the state, surpassing the 2,350 hospitalizations reported on Aug. 5. The number of patients on ventilators has risen to 277.
The LDH is also reporting 6,116 new COVID-19 cases for the state and 48 new deaths, bringing the total cases statewide to 573,903 and deaths to 11,210. Also according to the LDH:
- 90% of the cases from July 22 to July 28 are not fully vaccinated.
- 84% of the deaths from July 22 to July 28 are from individuals who are not fully vaccinated.
- 90% of the current COVID hospitalizations are from individuals who are not fully vaccinated.
Everyone is urged to take the necessary precautions to help limit the spread of COVID-19 and stay safe and healthy. These precautions include:
- Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds and frequently
- Covering your cough or sneeze with your arm
- Avoiding touching your face
- Routinely cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces
- Avoiding close contact with others
- And staying home if you are sick
- If you are not yet fully vaccinated you should mask and distance in public settings and particularly indoors, for your safety and for the safety of those around you.
- If you are fully vaccinated you have very good, but not absolute protection. Your risk, while relatively small, will increase as the amount of COVID-19 circulating in your community increases. Masking and distancing particularly when indoors will increase your safety should you desire extra protection.
- If you are at increased risk for complications of COVID-19 by virtue of advanced age or underlying medical condition or have a member of your household family unit who is, LDH strongly recommends you consider masking and distancing when indoors and/or in close proximity to others for added protection.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Everyone aged 12 and older, is eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine in Louisiana. The FDA has only authorized one of the three COVID-19 vaccines – from Pfizer – for children ages 12 to 17. Parents should confirm with the vaccine provider that their child is under 18 to ensure Pfizer vaccine is available before making an appointment.
- COVID-19 vaccines are widely available at 1,437 locations in all of Louisiana’s 64 parishes, including at pharmacies, hospitals, health care clinics and doctor’s offices.
- For a list of locations, visit LDH’s vaccine directory or visit vaccines.gov, which is maintained by the federal government.
- To get a list of vaccine locations near you text your ZIP code to GETVAX (438829) in English, or VACUNA (822862) in Spanish.
- If you have questions, would like to speak with a medical professional, or need help scheduling an appointment, call Louisiana’s vaccine hotline at 1-855-453-0774.
Click here to view gating criteria.
Download the ArkLaTexHomepage app to keep up with the latest top stories, breaking news, weather, sports, and more!