Grambling State advances to Friday’s SWAC Semifinals against Texas Southern
GRAMBLING, La. | Jazmin Boyd provided a fourth-quarter spark with seven straight points to give Grambling State the lead for good as the Lady Tigers picked up an 80-71 victory against Alcorn State in the 2018 Toyota Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Quarterfinal game at the Fredrick C. Hobdy Assembly on Tuesday night.
Grambling State (17-13), the No. 3 seed in the tournament, advances to Friday’s semifinal against Texas Southern, the No. 2 seed, at the Delmar Fieldhouse. Texas Southern defeated Alabama State, 76-48, on Tuesday night. TSU swept the regular-season series over Grambling State.
Alcorn State took a slight 43-39 lead going into the break and extended its lead to 10 points, 50-40, with 7:55 remaining in the third, but Grambling State outscored Alcorn State 25-15 in the fourth quarter to pick up its second consecutive win.
Shakyla Hill paced Grambling State with 30 points, five rebounds, six assists and eight steals. Boyd registered 15 points, one rebound, one assist and one steal, while Monisha Neal added 12 points, six rebounds, one assists, and two steals.
Alexus Freeman led Alcorn State (12-17) with 20 points two rebounds, three assists and two steals, while Tia Sanders contributed 12 points, four rebounds, one assists and one steal.
Grambling State led 31-18 at the end of the first quarter, but Alcorn State held the Lady Tigers without a bucket for nearly four minutes in the second quarter as the Lady Braves out-scored GSU in the period, 25-8, to take a 43-39 advantage into the break.
Alcorn State extended its lead 50-40 after a free throw by Miracle Rushing with 7:55 left in the third quarter, However, Grambling State used a 20-10 run, capped by a Boyd 3-pointer to tie the game at 60 with 8:14 remaining.
The Lady Tigers used a 20-11 run down the stretch to advance to Friday’s semifinals.
Inside the Numbers
* Grambling State shot 30-of-62 (48.4 percent) from the field and 16-of-22 (72.7 percent) from the free-throw line.
* Alcorn State shot 43.8.8 percent (28-of-64) from the floor and 71.4 percent (10-of-14) from the charity stripe.
* The Lady Tigers tallied 29 rebounds, including 19 on the defensive glass.
* The Lady Braves recorded 45 rebounds, with 20 coming on the offensive end.
* Grambling State registered 34 points in the paint, eight fast-break points, seven second-chance points and 27 points off turnovers.
* Alcorn State finished with 24 points in the paint, 10 second-chance points, eight points off turnovers and two fast-break points.
News and Notes
* Grambling State swept the season series from Alcorn State.
* Darae Taylor tied her career high eight points in Tuesday’s game.
* The Lady Tigers advanced to the SWAC Semifinals for the second straight year
* Grambling State honored the Tiger men’s basketball team at halftime for winning the 2017-18 SWAC Regular Season Championship.
Grambling State will take on Texas Southern in a SWAC Semifinal Tournament game on Friday in Houston, Texas. Tip-off in the Delmar Fieldhouse is set for 6 p.m.