Contributed by: GSU Athletic Communications
GRAMBLING, La. | Drexler Macaay reached single and came in to score on a two-out passed ball in the 10th inning as the Grambling State University baseball team picked up its second straight win, 5-4, over Arkansas-Pine Bluff in a Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) game on Saturday afternoon at Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park.
Grambling State (9-9 overall, 6-2 SWAC) scored three runs in the eighth, but allowed Arkansas-Pine Bluff to plate a run in the ninth as the two teams entered extra innings all tied at 4.
How It Happened
Grambling State began the scoring as Macaay belted his second homer of the series, a solo shot, to give the Tigers a quick 1-0 lead.
The score remained 1-0 until the seventh when Arkansas-Pine Bluff tied the game with one run on two hits.
The Golden Lions (2-15, 1-7) took a 3-1 advantage with a pair of runs in the top of the eighth, but Grambling State answered with three runs in the bottom half on three hits to grab a 4-3 lead.
In the eighth, Rafael Ramirez III walked and was lifted for pinch runner Phil Adams, Jr. Ian Bailey followed with a base hit up the middle and Macaay reached on a bunt single to load the bases. Isaiah Torres singled up the middle to score Adams and Bailey as Macaay moved to third. Jahmoi Percival reached on a fielder’s choice as Torres was out at second, but Macaay scored to give GSU the slim, 4-3 advantage.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff tied the game at 4 with a run in the ninth, as the Tigers won the game in the bottom of the 10th.
Macaay opened the frame with a base hit through the left side and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Torres. Jalen Heath, who pinch hit for Percival, walked and Trevin Bolden was intentionally walked to load the bases with two outs. Macaay came in to score on a passed ball to give the Tigers the walk-off victory.
Inside the Numbers
– Grambling State finished with five runs on seven hits, committed a pair of errors and left eight on base
– Drexler Macaay continued to swing the hot bat as he went 3-for-5, with three runs scored and one RBI
– Ian Bailey, Isaiah Torres, Garrett Smith and Nick Wheeler collected one hit each
– Jason Alvarez started on the bump for the Tigers and fanned seven in 8.0 innings of work. He surrendered three runs on six hits and walked one
– Ryan Evans and Kerry Boykins, Jr. (2-0) pitched in relief
– Arkansas-Pine Bluff scored four runs on eight hits and stranded five on base
– Justin Robinson and Larry Sims registered two hits each
– Carlos Benoit started on the mound for the Golden Lions and gave up one run on three hits, walked two and struck out a pair in 6.2 innings of work
– Daniel Walsh, Dalton Acost, Peyton Burks and Jordan O’Guinn (0-1) pitched in relief
Grambling State concludes its three-game home SWAC series against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Sunday. First pitch from Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park is set for 1 p.m.