Contributed by: Grambling Athletic Communications
NEW ORLEANS, La. | Coby Taylor’s one-out solo homer in the ninth inning capped a four-run rally as the Grambling State University baseball team suffered a 6-5 setback to Southern at the Andre Dawson Classic on Saturday at Wesley Barrow Stadium.
Grambling State (1-1) was looking to start 2-0 since the 2017 and took a 5-2 advantage into the seventh, but could not hold on.
How It Happened
Southern plated a run in the bottom of the first, but Grambling State answered with one run in the top of the second as Ian Bailey scored on a base hit by Kristian Franklin.
The Jaguars grabbed a run in the bottom of the frame to take a 2-1 advantage.
The Tigers plated four runs in the fifth, highlighted by an Isaiah Torres grand slam homer.
Garrett Smith walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch. With one down, Jahmoi Percival walked and Drexler Macaay was hit by a pitch to load the bases. With two down in the frame, Isaiah Torres belted a grand slam to score all four runs to give Grambling State a 5-2 lead.
However, Southern rallied with three runs in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game at 5.
The Jaguars won the game on a solo homer by Taylor with one out in the bottom of the ninth.
Inside the Numbers
– Grambling State finished with five runs on seven hits, with one error and left seven on base
– Kristian Franklin paced the Grambling State offense by going 3-for-4, with one RBI
– Rafael Ramirez III, Isaiah Torres, Ian Bailey and Garrett Smith each recorded one hit
– Ryan Huntington started on the hill and did not figure into the decision. He gave up two runs on seven hits, with four strikeouts and one walk in six innings pitched
– Grant Landry and Kevin Whitaker, Jr. (0-1) worked in relief
– Southern finished with six runs on 12 hits and stranded seven on base
– Coby Taylor led Southern at the plate by going 3-for-5, with two runs scored and two RBIs
– Hunter David, Aashanti Wheatley and Javeyan Williams each registered two hits
– Christian Dixon started on the mound for the Jaguars and pitched 4.1 innings. He surrendered four runs on four hits, walked four and fanned struckout one
– Larry Barabino pitched 2.2 innings in relief and fanned six, while Wilhelm Allen (1-0) earned the victory in 2.0 innings in relief
Grambling State concludes play at the Andre Dawson Classic on Sunday against Alabama State. First Pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m. at Wesley Barrow Stadium.