Police not releasing more info about fatal shooting of teen

Top Stories
Police Shooting Naked Teen_1557511756452

FILE – In this May 3, 2019 file photo, people listen to speakers at the Edmond Police Department during a Black Lives Matter protest rally honoring the Life of Isaiah Lewis in Edmond, Okla. Police in the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond said that Lewis, a naked 17-year-old high school student, was not armed when […]

EDMOND, Okla. (AP) — More than 10 days after police in Oklahoma killed a naked, unarmed, black teenager who had broken into a home, authorities have released little additional information about the shooting, including the race of the two officers involved.

Sgt. Milo Box and Officer Denton Scherman have been on paid leave since the April 29 shooting in which police say 17-year-old Isaiah Lewis attacked the officers after they followed him into the home in the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond. Police provided a basic account of what happened, including that a stun gun was used with no effect, but have declined to provide additional information, including whether both officers fired shots.

The Oklahoma medical examiner’s office has said only that the teen died of “multiple gunshot wounds.”

Police spokeswoman Jenny Wagnon on Friday referred questions about the shooting to District Attorney David Prater, who did not immediately return a phone call for comment. Wagnon referred questions about why information hasn’t been released to City Attorney Steve Murdock.

“I don’t think there’s anything in the open records act that requires us to release that information,” said Murdock, who declined further comment

Wagnon has said the two officers were not wearing body cameras and that the results of the investigation will be sent to Prater.

Lewis’ mother, Vicki Lewis, has not returned phone calls seeking comment.

During the 911 call that prompted police to respond to the neighborhood, a woman who identified herself as Lewis’ 18-year-old girlfriend tried to take the phone from her neighbor to tell dispatchers that her “boyfriend just flipped out. I have no idea what’s going on.”

Other 911 calls later reported Lewis stripped off his clothes as he ran down the street. Police later said they chased him as he jumped fences before breaking into the house where he was shot.

Rev. T. Sheri Dickerson, a leader of the Oklahoma City chapter of Black Lives Matter, which organized a rally in Edmond in support of Lewis’ family, said she has spoken with Vicki Lewis, who told her that police are still waiting on the medical examiner’s report on what, if any, drugs or alcohol were in Isaiah Lewis’ system when he died.

“Not that I think that matters, but it could explain his irrational behavior,” Dickerson said.

The results of that report are not expected for several weeks, police have said.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Check This Out

Trending Stories

Loving Living Local 600x600

Don't Miss